"one cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well" - Virginia Woolf

"one cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well" - Virginia Woolf

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Slumtown Treasures

Living far away from home has made me appreciate all the "goldmines" in my home town, East London. Yes, Cape Town is "the place to be" and has everything to offer one- in terms of dining out and coffee dates. BUT my home town still holds a few treasures that I long for!

If any of you have the chance to pass through or stay in East London, otherwise known as "Slumtown", then I recommend my 4 favourite spots:

1. Friesland Milk Bar
2. Sanook
3. Lavender Blue
4. Roxys

Friesland is a milkshake bar that was established in 1924. It is undoubtedly what makes East London known. Friesland originally operated in the suburb known as Quigney and can now also be found in the Hemingways mall. Friesland is known for the most delicious milkshakes and ice cream. No doubt about it. 

When moving to Cape Town, I experienced "Friesland fomo" and started a milkshake scout. Nothing has come close to my hometown treasure. My two favourite Friesland flavours are Milo and Coffee and I highly recommend a visit to this milk bar. This milk bar has been putting smiles on faces for nearly a century and is an East London MUST.

Sanook opened in 2013 and is now the best burger and pizza joint in East London. This restaurant offers an assortment of gourmet burgers and pizzas and I often refer to it as a "mini-Hudsons". It offers the same vibe as Hudson's burger joint in Cape Town with sides such as sweet potato skins, side salad or fries.

Apart from burgers and pizza, it also offers ribs, sandwiches and salads. Recently Sanook has brought out a banting pizza and have joined the "real meal revolution". My favourite meal at Sanook is "the sexy chick"- an ostrich burger served with homemade tomato sauce. Accompanying this I love their side salad or sweet potato skins and a glass of light Montino wine. Sanook is situated in Chamberlain road, Vincent and is preparing to open a second restaurant in Beacon Bay. This restaurant offers great food, an amazing atmosphere and superb service!

Lavender Blue is found on the outskirts of East London and offers a farmstyle experience. This restaurant is situated near a pond with a big outdoor area and play equipment for children. They offer an assortment of breakfasts and lunches. They also have their own market on the weekend. Lavender Blue is the perfect restaurant for farmstyle breakfasts consisting of eggs, tomato relish, bacon, sausages and homemade bread. They also serve amazing open sandwiches and salads at lunch time. They cater for everyone and are a family friendly restaurant with lovely staff and divine coffee.

Roxy's coffee shop, run by three sisters-  Cheryl, Marcia and Margot - is a great place to meet up with friends. It is my go-to when I'm home and I absolutely love their signature cabbage salad. To satisfy the sweet tooth, one has to try the chocolate cake which is a slice of rich, dark chocolate cake covered in a saucy icing. They also offer a sweet potato cake, my personal favourite, with the most delicious cream cheese frosting. Roxy's  is a well established coffee shop situated in Chamberlain Square in Berea. This coffee shop offers a great atmosphere and the most delectable food. Another East London MUST.

I personally believe a visit to East London is incomplete without a visit to these 4 treasures!!




2 comments:

  1. I have to agree - all four places are a must to visit. Love the picture of the cute liitle boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respect and that i have a neat offer: How Much Is Home Renovation remodel old house

    ReplyDelete